Busy. Especially when all you do is stay at home with an adorable never-stop-moving eight month old. And that's just the beginning. But I can't complain.....well.....I can but it doesn't get me anywhere....except depressed. And who needs that, anyways? This new role that I've found myself shoved into is extremely, how shall I say it, nerve wracking. Don't get me wrong...I love supporting my husband, but oh the expectations that can be placed upon the spouse of one in ministry. But in all actuallity, we're all in ministry, aren't we? Degree or not, we are all ministers for Christ. Some of us just get recognized more. For instance, take your average everyday pastor. He (let's be gender neutral here to minimize confusion) is recognized publically every Sunday. He's heavily involved in the lives of his congregation. He's busy busy busy for the work of the kingdom, fullfilling his life long, God-breathed call. Then take your average everyday pastor's wife. She (again work with me people), is busy busy busy doing the work of the ministry. Let's see...to make things interesting, let's say this everyday pastor's wife is not as involved in the church on the same level that her husband is. Let's say, perhaps, that she does a few things for her husband to support his ministry. Let's even throw in three or four kids that she works her butt off everday to take care of. Maybe she writes a few cards during the week to some of the church families. Maybe she visitis some of the ladies and does special things for them. Or maybe she's head of Wesleyan Women...a real go getter, organizing women's ministries all the live long day. Either way you look at it, is her calling any less significant than that of her husbands? Is it even considered a calling? I'm proof that it is. I believe I have been called to be a pastor's wife and a mom. Simple as that. That has been my dream for as long as I can remember. Both of my dreams have come true! But seriously, is not my calling just as important as Justin's? Of course! Just like that everyday pastor's wife with the three or four kids. I believe the greatest gift any child could have is a godly mother (and father) who give their all for their kids. Kudos to all you stay at home moms out there. The road is long, dusty, down right dirty at times. Sometimes the other path looks enticing. BUT there is great reward in what you're doing....in what we're doing. Being a stay at home mom (or...to be politically correct, a homemaker) is a high calling. To think that we have been entrusted with precious gifts....our children. What greater responsibility, reward, nobility, or beauty is there? Okay...I'll get off my soap box. I've just really been thinking a lot about my role in life lately, and why shouldn't I? My entire world has been turned upside down the last year (with the birth of our son, and the birth of our new ministry as a couple). I may not know what tomorrow holds, but I do know WHO holds tomorrow. That can be comforting or crazy depending on how you look at it :) So yeah...a day in the life of this pastor's wife is wrought with deep thought, new faith, lots of smiles, lots of tears, and lots of fear...but never lacking in love.
Monday, August 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

























3 comments:
I agree with you. The responsibilitity of ANY wife is significantly greater than people realize. It's not just your children who are entrusted to you, but your husband first and foremost. A Woman has much responsibility if she will acknowledge and accept it...never a dull moment.
Someday I'll join the ranks of the mothers...someday
good word.
wow Jess, that was really inspiring. As Ben and I are thinking about having kids (not yet, we're waiting a couple years) i'm realizing how muchI will just want to be home with them, but at the same time i have Pastor's responsibilities. THis really put things into a different perspetive for me. Thank you
Post a Comment