Lilypie 5th Birthday TickerLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Reflections Of A Self-Proclaimed OC.

Call me crazy, but I take great pride in a title such as the one I've aptly chosen for this post. Aptly...is that a word? Either way, it sounds good, doesn't it? I love when words that I have no clue what they mean come to mind. Generally speaking, I will use them in a sentence and *hope* they fit. They usually sound good, too. Anyways, this has nothing to do with what I intended to post.


My intentions were, and still are, to gloat in my insanely obsessive-compulsive tendencies. I seriously wonder if I might need some sort of medication. That which I suffer from is causing such distress within my soul!! I say "gloat", however, because while my OC tendencies cause me trouble, they have also caused me to be a neat freak, schedule Nazi, and compulsive cleaner/organizer (among many other appropriate titles I'm sure I've missed). Now keep in mind that I suffer from a self-proclaimed obsessive-compulsive disorder. Never have I been diagnosed, nor have I found the need to talk about it until today. Since returning from my parents house in Maine, I've discovered this new-found burst within me to become far more obsessive-compulsive than I originally thought myself to be. It's not just the physical actions of cleaning, organizing, alphabetizing, or achieving PERFECTION, but the feelings I experience internally, such as the inability to relax while appearing to be "relaxing", the slide show playing incessantly in my minds-eye of each and every disorganized closet and cupboard in my house during the most inopportune times (i.e. times I absolutely CANNOT clean due to present obligations), or the nagging feeling that SOMETHING SOMEWHERE even if I cannot see it has to be cleaned, organized, alphabetised, or labeled. All this has been causing a real internal dilemma. I will say however, the euphoria, the sense of accomplishment, and the sense of pride when a project is completed or begun are like no other!! For the OC that is the DRUG :P


I am a proud self-proclaimed OC. While the drive to be perfect, clean, organized, neat and all around spectacular is a lot to live up to and causes this mom of 2....no 3 VERY MESSY BOYS to often times cringe and seek shelter in a deep dark hole somewhere in middle earth, it also has its perks (as mentioned above). I will say though, that being married to the very opposite of everything you're composed of (in said department) can be EXTREMELY frustrating for the OC. My husband (though I love him deeply) has to be by far the messiest person to walk the face of the earth. Ironically enough, he would tell you otherwise. But don't be fooled. I live with the guy. I could take pictures and document...hey...not a bad idea. I'll just file that little piece of blackmail away for later. Moving on. My kids. Nuff said. Sometimes the mess those two can generate during any given meal time is enough to make me crazy!


But today...glorious day that it is, leaves me (at least thus far) with the fond euphoria, sense of accomplishment, and gleam of pride that has spurred the makings of this post. And with all the humility and lowliness of heart (like that one?) that a self-proclaimed obsessive-compulsive can muster, I must share with the world that I finished the boys laundry, cleaned and organized Gabe's room (lost track of exactly how many times I've actually done this one), cleaned and organized mine and DH's room, and did the same for Elijah's room. All in all I say so far it's been a pretty good day and it's not even 2pm. The rest of the house doesn't look too bad, either. Tomorrow, however, could be a different story...comes with the OC's territory :)


So, fellow OC's out there, may we raise our glasses and toast to another entire year of tug-a-war with our feelings, our obsessions, and...our compulsions. HERE,HERE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm....I enjoyed this.
Do you have a label maker?
I go a super deluxe one (an upgrade from my regular one) for Christmas!
mmmmmm.....no words...no words...

Mommy Rader said...

A LABEL MAKER!?!?!?! I NEEEEEED that!!! I didn't know they had those...hmmm. Euphoria gone.

I usually make my own *sigh* Not that anyone in this house pays much attention :P Two can't read and the third...well, apparently this house is completely illiterate (with the exception of me of course!). Must be a male thing...

Anonymous said...

OH MY SOUL!!
You didn't KNOW????
Okay...promptly take yourself to Walmart and get a Dymo LetraTag for about 20.00. That's what I started with and it's a great one!
Here's the link:
http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Products/LetraTag.html

You can purchase any kind of tape cartridge for it - from basic white...to outdoor durability...to iron on...you name it!

Girl..you are gonna be in heaven!!
(you should SEE my house! I've labelled the kid's dresser drawers (babysitters love that), my kitchen, my closets...)

Anonymous said...

And since I'm on a roll...
check these closet organizers out. They are amazing...I have them in both kid's closets...(they come in kiddie sizes- how perfect!)
http://www.abctarget.com/product1~P~P072~D~D1~S~S7~G~G1~C~C56.htm

Mommy Rader said...

Oh....I'm overwhelmed....where do I begin??? My skin is crawling with excitement!!!! Walmart, here I come!! Thanks for the links...going to check them out pronto :)

I can already see myself stamping those perfectly crafted labels on EVERYTHING!! Oh that joy that floods my soul! Gotta run...lots to do :)

Elizabeth said...

Aptly -Exactly suitable; appropriate: an apt reply. Good use of the word Jess.

Organizers and label makers?!? While I’ve enjoyed reading your conversation, both of you would go crazy at my place and office. There disorganization, clutter, and mess everywhere. There are days I would like to fix it but I am too overwhelmed to know where to begin.